Get up, go out, watch a movie, fall in love...

Thursday, August 21, 2014

BOYHOOD

There's more than one reason why everybody, specially those who know about film, are talking about Boyhood. 

I had to give myself a few days to write this. You know when you are walking out of the theaters and you have no idea if you either LOVED it or HATED it?? 

Well, that doesn't happen to me very often, but from time to time, it does. And when it does, and I end up loving the film. It stays in my head for a long time. It's sort of an acquired taste. The more you watch it, the more you like it.

Boyhood is definitely one of those. A film that had already built some expectation in me because of the obvious press coverage and the fascinating challenge of filming it over a period of 12 years. It's always hard to be 100% unbiased when you are going to watch a film with such press and an impressive 100/100 at the IMDB critics score. Taking this into account, I tried to let all predisposition aside. And this is what happened: 

1) Complete AWE: 

I was absolutely impressed by the creativity and originality of such a project. It was so impressive to see the physical development of the characters and the environment. There was no makeup and it DID make a difference. There was not set design and it DID make a difference.

2) A bit boring but still intrigued: 

When the novelty and excitement of seeing the characters grow and sets accurately match the times, the repetitive and sort of mundane dialogues become a little boring. Except for a few very philosophical lines, I have to say I found myself doubting the press and everyone who had spoken wonders of this film. 

3) It all makes sense:

The kids become adults and they begin a more serious inner discovery, which takes, not only them, but all the other characters, including myself, into a process of philosophical questioning. What is life all about? What is time all about? 

And just like that, as I walk out in the streets, thinking about the last 3 hours, I realize this is one of the most beautiful and deepest pieces of art I've seen in a while. 

Besides taking the crazy adventure of shooting for 12 years to accurately document the physical evolution of the characters, this is the most original and outstanding way of taking us through the journey of life and leading us into questioning the meaning of it all. 

So please, get up, go out and watch this movie... 






No comments:

Post a Comment